2nd at Timaru as a Yearling, 2nd at Christchurch as a Yearling; met the same colts at Timaru and Christchurch the following year and was placed 1st before them, meeting at Christchurch a ring of eight others; 1st at Oamaru as a two-year-old, beating the Irish hunter's stock, Wicklow; also 1st at Dunedin, beating Wicklow stock, also Merry Stanton stock, and 1st at Christchurch as a three-year-old; 1st at Timaru as a three- year-old; 1st at Oamaru a three-year-old also 2nd in the All Age Class as a Hackney Entire, at Oamaru.
reverse inscription - "Matched pair sold to Dr ? for two hundred guineas"
Mr Simmons, of Compstall, sold to Dr Townend, of Christchurch, on Saturday last, a pair of the best upstanding carriage horses ever seen in South Canterbury. They were examined by Mr Lillico, the Government veterinary surgeon, who passed them as sound. On account of enquiries regarding the above pair, several would-be purchasers both in Otago and Canterbury will be disappointed. We understand that the price obtained was very satisfactory. Timaru Herald, Volume LXXV, Issue 11592, 30 October 1901, Page 2
Dr Townend's grand-daughter was Nina Caroline Studley-Herbert, 12th Countess of Seafield, at her death in 1969, she was the second richest woman in Britain after the Queen. Townend's second wife was Annie Quayle Moore the only surviving
daughter of George Henry Moore of Glenmark.
Canterbury Society of Arts, Annual Exhibition, Catalogue 1928,
Christchurch Art Gallery
The New Stamp Issue To the Editor of The Press
Sir,- Are all Englishmen as atrabilious as our friend who criticises New Zealanders and their stamps in your issue of Saturday last? And must we be everlastingly singing "God Save the King" in order to attest our loyalty?
½d - Fantail.
The halfpenny stamp for which I was responsible is not merely a drawing of a bird but a design as well, and if a design has no merit as a pattern then it is not a good design. The pattern is not destroyed by placing the design in any position, and in any case a designer may surely take it for granted that people can read.
4d - Mitre Peak.
"Englishman" may be gratified to notice that I have placed the Imperial crown in a prominent position in my design for the fourpenny stamp, but New Zealand should not be accused of aggressive nationalism merely because she lays claim to some small individuality of her own. Nor are New Zealanders bound to conform to any type dictated to them by others, either in their art or in any other direction. —Yours, etc., JAS. FITZGERALD. May 4, 1935.
Press, Volume LXXI, Issue 21465, 6 May 1935, Page 18
Ohoka showing from left one of
the blacksmith's shops, alleyway leading to the Miniature Rifle Club site, the
store and P.O. and small houses (the latter two still inhabited by families).
Further along Mill Road on the right is a gum tree still standing in the old
Eyre Co. Council Office site. Family pictured are facing the Hotel and Baker's
shop now the Ohoka Service Station owned by Richard Hamilton and his sons,
Edward and John.
- General Lunatic Asylum, Nelson, superintended the erection of the
building; plans prepared in England, built in the "old English style" .
1861 - Girls' and Infants' School, Nelson built by Mr. John Scott .
1861 - Nelson Provincial Council Buildings, 162 feet by 87 feet .
1863 - 7 May, arrived in Lyttelton on the s.s. Prince Alfred from Nelson .
1863 - Orphan Asylum, section 72, Lincoln Road, Christchurch.
1863 - Store and Offices, for Messrs. Walton, Warner & Co., Oxford Terrace, Christchurch.
1863 - Bank of New South Wales, Hereford Street, Christchurch.
1863 - Parsonage House at Riccarton 1863 - Store and Offices for Messrs. Taylor and Co., Manchester Street, Christchurch.
1863 - Dwelling house for Archibald Thomson, Esq., Fendal Town Road, Christchurch.
1864 - Bonded warehouse for Mr Louisson, Hereford Street, Christchurch.
1864 - Church in Latimer Square, Christchurch, Messrs. Forgan & Sons, contractors.
1870 - Memorial window for Archdeacon Mathias, east end of St John's Church, Latimer Square, Christchurch.
 Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, Volume XIX, 4 July 1860, Page 3  Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, Volume XX, Issue 4, 11 January 1861, Page 1  Colonist, Volume IV, Issue 370, 10 May 1861, Page 1  Lyttelton Times, Volume XIX, Issue 1095, 9 May 1863, Page 4
Press, Volume IV, Issue 433, 21 March 1864, Page 1
The death has occurred at his residence, at Filey, Yorkshire, of Mr. George Mallinson, retired architect and surveyor, at the age of 77 years. Mr. Mallinson, who built the first stone church in New Zealand, at Port Lyttelton, was a native of Dewsbury, and served his articles with the noted firm of Barry and Brown, Liverpool.
Evening Post, Volume LXXVII, Issue 22, 27 January 1909, Page 4
Benjamin W. Mountfort, Maxwell Bury, Frederick Strouts, Isaac Luck, George Mallison, Charles Edward Fooks
Governors Bay about 1862-1864. To the far right is St Cuthberts Church designed by architect George Mallison. The foundation stone for the church was laid on 30 January 1860 and built over a period of two years. A stone chancel was added in 1864 which is not present in this photograph.
died 20 November 1933 at his residence, Christchurch
Daniel Lawrence. J.P., was born in South Wales, in 1843. He was educated
at Kensington Grammar School, and afterwards had a private tutor, the
Rev. Piercy Frost, under whom he studied for the Army. In 1864 he came
to New Zealand in the ship “Derwentwater,” and went as a cadet on the
Hon. Robert Daly's run, Dunsandel, where he remained for four years,
when he made a start for himself by purchasing a good-sized block of
swamp land near Leeston, which he named “Ravensworth, after his old home
in Wales. His property after large sums of money had been spent in
draining and other important improvements, became known as the best
grazing land in the Ellesmere district. Mr. Lawrence was a large breeder
of sheep and shorthorn cattle, and he was instrumental in raising a
stud flock of Romney Marsh sheep, so favourably known throughout New
Zealand. He retired from farming in 1892, and purchased and settled on a
small property near Christchurch. Mr. Lawrence has taken a very
prominent part in public affairs, especially in connection with the
district where he so long resided. He was created a Justice of the Peace
in 1873, and was sworn in under the Hon. C. C. Bowen, when that
gentleman was Resident Magistrate of Christchurch. For many years he was
a member of the Ellesmere Road Board, and chairman of the local school
committee. He has also been president of the Ellesmere Agricultural and
Pastoral Association, and chairman of the Ellesmere Licensing Committee.
Mr. Lawrence is an enthusiastic angler, and anglers have to thank him
for stocking the Rakaia and Selwyn rivers with fish in 1867. He will
long be remembered as the popular president of the Ellesmere football
and cricket clubs. Mr. Lawrence married a daughter of the late Mr.
Charles K. Vigers, of Governor's Bay, who came out in the ship
“Canterbury” in 1851 and has a family of five sons.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District], The Cyclopedia Company, Limited, 1903, Christchurch.
W. D. Lawrence's house, N.Z.
OBITUARY MR W. D. LAWRENCE.
The death occurred at his residence, Christchurch, yesterday of Mr William Daniel Lawrence, who many years ago was a farmer in the Leeston district and intimately associated with the Ellesmere A. and P. Association and all other organisations having the welfare and progress of the district as their objective.
Mr Lawrence was in his ninety-fourth year, and was born at Carmarthen, South Wales, in 1840. He was the third son of Dr. Henry Lawrence. He was educated at Kensington Grammar School, and afterwards studied for the army, but, abandoning that intention, came to New Zealand, arriving at Lyttelton in 1863 in the ship Derwentwater.
He was first of all a cadet on Mr R. J. S. Harman's run, and was later appointed manager for the Hon. Robert Daly on "Camla," Dunsandel. Afterwards he took up land at Dunsandel and at Sedgemere, finally purchasing a property near Leeston, which he named "Ravensworth," after his old home in Wales.
Mr Lawrence effected great improvements by drainage and in other ways, the farm becoming one of the best known in Ellesmere. He was a large breeder of sheep and Shorthorn cattle, and was instrumental in raising a flock of stud Romney Marsh sheep which became very widely known.
A very prominent part was taken in public affairs by Mr Lawrence during his residence in this district. He was created a Justice of the Peace in 1873, and was the oldest member of the commission in New Zealand; for many years he was a member of the Ellesmere Road Board, and chairman of the School Committee, and chairman of the Ellesmere Licensing Committee.
But he will be best known for his association with the Ellesmere A. and P. Association, of which he was a foundation member in 1870, and was its first secretary. He was afterwards president of the association. It was he and Mr Bluett who addressed the first meeting of farmers at Southbridge regarding the formation of the association, and he took a keen interest in its' formation and subsequent career. Mr Lawrence retired from his Leeston activities in 1891 to reside in Christchurch, but his interest in the district and, in its show did not languish, and he was a frequent visitor to the annual shows, his last appearance being made at the recent show held in October.
Mr Lawrence took an active part in sport. He was one of the early members of the Canterbury Hunt Club, and when he lived at "Ravensworth" it was his custom to walk two or three pairs of hounds in the summer, while two or three meets were held there each hunting season. Mr Lawrence was also a keen fisherman and shooter, and was a life member of the North Canterbury Acclimatisation Society. He was one of a body of fishing enthusiasts who were responsible for the liberation of trout in the Selwyn, Hall's Creek and other streams in the Ellesmere district.
Mr Lawrence is survived by a widow and five sons, Messrs J. W. K., H. S., C. H. and L. V. Lawrence, of Christchurch, and Mr C. W. Lawrence, who at present lives in Mesopotamia.
MR. W. D. LAWRENCE The death occurred in Christchurch last week, at the age of 93, of Mr. William Daniel Lawrence, a well-known Canterbury pastoralist, who was closely connected with early farming practice in the Leeston district.
He was born at Carmarthen, South Wales, on May 1, 1840, the third son of Dr. Henry Lawrence. He was educated for the Army, but gave up the intention of following a military career and came to New Zealand. arriving at Lyttelton by the ship Derwentwater in 1863.
Mr. Lawrence was first of all a cadet on Mr. R. J. S. Harman's run, and was later manager of the "Camila" station for the Hon. Robert Daly. Subsequently he took up land on his own account at Dunsandel and Sedgemere, finally taking up the "Ravensworth" property at Leeston, which he farmed until he retired and went to live in Christchurch in 1891.
He was a well-known breeder of Romney Marsh sheep. He was appointed a justice of the peace in 1877 and at his death was the oldest holder of the commission of the peace in New Zealand. He took an active part in sport. He was one of the early members of the Canterbury Hunt Club. He was also a keen fisherman and shooter and was a life member of the North Canterbury Acclimatisation Society. He was one of a body of fishing enthusiasts who were responsible for the liberation of trout in many Canterbury streams. He leaves a widow and five sons.
New Zealand Herald, Volume LXX, Issue 21659, 27 November 1933, Page 11
PEEPS INTO THE PAST FORTY-FIVE YEARS AGO. EXTRACTS FROM THE "ELLESMERE GUARDIAN." Saturday, November 21, 1891. The sale of Mr W. D. Lawrence's property at Leeston to Mr Henry Chamberlain, of Ellesmere was announced. The price was £29 2s 6d per acre for 455 acres and buildings and the sale was regarded as approximately a record for New Zealand. Higher prices per acre had been paid for small blocks and larger sums for greater areas of land, but a sale of 455 acres at £29 2s 6d per acre was not heard of every day in this colony.
Press, Volume XII, Issue 1587, 7 December 1867, Page 2
Mr. Croslegh Dampier-Crossley, J.P., Proprietor of Esk Head Station, was born in Hertfordshire, England, in 1839. He was educated at Sedburgh, and brought up to farming by his uncle, Mr John Crossley, of Scaitcliffe, Lancashire, who left his estates to him, on condition that in addition to his own name, he took the name of Crossley, and coat of arms. Mr. Christopher Edward Dampier, his father, emigrated to New Zealand, where he arrived on the 8th of November, 1850, in the “Phœbe Dunbar,” and, as solicitor to the Canterbury Association, he brought the documents of the Association with him [he died 9 November 1871 at the Hollies, Sway, Hants aged 70 years]. Mr Dampier-Crossley came to Lyttelton in 1858 in the ship “Roehampton” and went to the Hurunui, where he afterwards became manager of his father's sheep run, Esk Head. In 1870 he took over the property. He has a shearing ground and shed at Stoneyroyd, Waitohi Gorge. His residence is at Waituna, Waikari. Mr. Dampier-Crossley was the first to take sheep to Hokitika in 1868. He was at one time a member of the Rangiora and Mandeville Road Board, and is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Christchurch. He was also a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, and resigned the lieutenancy after serving about nine years.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District] The Cyclopedia Company, Limited, 1903, Christchurch
MR DAMPIER-CROSSLEY. [From our Correspondent.] AMBERLEY, October 12. Mr Croslegh Dampier-Crossley, of Stonyroyd, Waikari, died at four o'clock this morning. At the end of last week he underwent an operation for appendicitis, and he made fair progress until yesterday, when a change came which rendered his case hopeless. Mr Crossley, who had been in North Canterbury since 1858, was very popular, and his death will be deplored by a wide circle of friends.
Star, Issue 8444, 12 October 1905, Page 3
MR DAMPIER-CROSSLEY. The death of Mr Crosleigh Dampier-Crossley of Waikari, will be heard of with much regret. The late Mr Dampier-Crossley was born in Hertfordshire in 1839, was educated at Sedburgh, and brought up to farming by his uncle, who left him his estate on condition that ho took the name of Crossley in addition to his own. His father, Mr C. E. Dampier, who was the solicitor to the Canterbury Association, arrived in Canterbury by the shop Phoebe Dunbar on the 8th of November, 1850, prior to the first four ships, Mr Dampier-Crossley coming in the Rockhampton in 1858. He went to the Hurunui, and became manager of his father's property, Esk Head Station, and in 1870 took over the property. He was the first to take sheep over to Hokitika in 1868.
He was at one time a member of the Rangiora and Mandeville Road Board, and was also a member of the first North Canterbury Jockey Club, the Canterbury A. and P. Association, and a member and past president of the Northern A. and P. Society.
For nine years he was a lieutenant of the C.V.C., having joined that corps as a private.
Mr Dampier-Crossley was twice married, his first wife dying some years ago. He was married a second time to the widow of. the late Mr Edward Chapman.
Since his resignation of the lieutenancy of the C.V.C. Mr Crossley has not taken much interest in public matters. He was suffering from an attack of appendicitis in an aggravated form, which necessitated on operation about a fortnight ago. He was only taken ill two days previous to the operation. Dr. Volckman attended the case most assiduously, and hopes were entertained at the beginning of the week that he might pull through, but these were not verified, and he died at 5 a.m. yesterday. Mr Crossley leaves a widow and one son and two daughters, all grown up and married.
The flag at Messrs Dalgety and Co.'s office was at half-mast yesterday, as a mark of respect. The funeral will take place to-morrow from the Rangiora station, after the arrival of the mid-day train from Christchurch.
Press, Volume LXII, Issue 12323, 13 October 1905, Page 5